For Immediate Release
Thursday, March 24, 2016
CONTACT: Christine L. Bergmark, Executive Director
Southern Maryland Agricultural Development Commission (SMADC)
firstname.lastname@example.org or (301) 274-1922 / Ext. 1
SMADC Ag and Food Center Information Session
The Southern Maryland Agricultural Development Commission of the Tri-County for Southern Maryland (SMADC) is looking for property, developers and operators for its Agricultural Business Park and Food Innovation Center Phase I: A Meat Processing, Packing and Retail Facility with Potential for Future Expansion.
SMADC will provide an overview of the Request for Proposals (RFP) and Request for Qualifications (RFQ), including:
- An overview of the project
- A description of the Meat Processing, Packing and Retail Facility
- An explanation of the purpose for the RFP / RFQ
- An outline of the goals SMADC would like to achieve upon completion of the project
- The requirements for submitting a response to the RFP / RFQ
- All businesses and stakeholders interested in learning more about the project are encouraged to attend
Date, Time, and Location
April 11, 2016
5 pm – 7 pm
Charlotte Hall Library
37600 New Market Turner Rd
Charlotte Hall, MD 20622
Upon arrival, you will be asked to check-in.
We encourage you to use this event as a networking opportunity. Time will be provided for networking after the presentation.
Questions & Answers
There will be time dedicated for questions and answers throughout the session.
The Southern Maryland Agricultural Development Commission of the Tri-County for Southern Maryland (SMADC) is looking to develop a Meat Processing, Packing and Retail Facility, ideally with flexibility to expand to include additional units of the Agricultural Business Park and Food Innovation Center (Center) in the Southern Maryland region (Anne Arundel, Calvert, Charles, Prince George’s, St. Mary’s).
For the initial phase, a Meat Processing, Packing and Retail Facility, SMADC is looking for entities aligned with SMADC’s goals for the following: 1) property for donation, sale, or long-term lease and an entity to hold title, 2) developer(s) and 3) operator(s). Bidders may apply for one or more of the above.
Interested parties should attend a public meeting to learn more about the project and process for selection.
SMADC wishes to establish an Agricultural Business Park and Food Innovation Center (Center) that would enable the region to scale up by putting long-term infrastructure in place, and creating local jobs and providing an expanded outlet for locally produced foods. Ideally, the Center is located at a single site, but multiple sites may be considered.
SMADC’s vision is a centrally located site(s) in Southern Maryland that ideally will house the following at a minimum:
- A regional meat packing and retail facility (to address the current critical multicultural needs). The acreage and site should fulfill the minimum requirements for a meat processing and retail facility, including road access, water, sewer and county zoning, unless otherwise explained in bid.
The ideal site and bid will also have the capacity to expand to accommodate other units of the Center concept, such as:
- A food innovation center to provide space for local start-up food businesses to procure local food and process value-added foods
- A site (hub) to efficiently warehouse and distribute food from local farms to retail and wholesale markets
- An outdoor farmers’ market and a year-round local farmers’ market/store
- An aquaculture processing center (as this industry emerges)
- Office and/or warehouse space for agriculturally-related businesses
- Land for new farmer incubation (to provide opportunities for new farmers, returning vets, disadvantaged, and transitioning farmers to receive on-the-ground training and market access)
- Other units, depending on funding and resources as appropriate
- The ideal candidate project site should have adequate land to accommodate a diverse set of agri-business uses as described above and, at a minimum, encompass an area of at least 20 acres of buildable land plus 30 acres of tillable land.
The Southern Maryland Agricultural Development Commission (SMADC) is committed to: a) a market-driven and sustainable farming future as Maryland transitions away from tobacco. b) a Maryland where farmland preservation, and environmental stewardship positively impact the quality of our air and water and c) cultivating awareness among consumers and leaders of the vital role our farms play in a balanced community, safe, nutritious food and a cleaner and healthier environment. To learn more about additional programs and resources, contact SMADC, P. O. Box 745, Hughesville, MD 20637; phone: 301-274-1922, Ex. 1, fax: 301-274-1924; email email@example.com; or visit www.smadc.com