For Immediate Release
Thursday, May 29, 2014
* The writers of this news release are, respectively, the Regional Transit Coordinator and the Regional Ride Share Coordinator for the Tri-County Council for Southern Maryland
Bike to Work and Wellness Day THANK YOU – EDITORIAL
The Tri-County Council for Southern Maryland (Council) would like to thank all sponsors, presenters and participants that helped to make this year’s Bike to Work/Wellness Day a success. This year’s event was held on May 16, 2014 in Indian Head, Maryland.
Bike to Work/Wellness Day was hosted by the Town of Indian Head and the Tri-County Council’s Commuter Assistance Program, in conjunction with the Metropolitan Washington Council for Governments Commuter Connections and the Council’s Regional Transportation Coordination Program.
This annual event stresses alternative transportation modes available to all citizens, including the disabled and senior citizen populations.
The focus of the Bike to Work/Wellness Day is to remind citizens that biking is one way to stay fit and healthy. The annual affair also aims to promote wellness and preventative measures, such as healthy eating habits, and the importance of alternative modes of transportation which promote cleaner air and cleaner air initiatives.
Through activities such as Bike to Work/Wellness Day, the Council and Charles County are actively adopting best practices that encourage an environmentally friendly transportation alternative that reduces road congestion and encourages healthier lifestyles.
A hearty thank you to the following:
- Bicyclists from the Southern Maryland Region
- Bike Doctor, Waldorf, Maryland
- Charles County Commissioners Debra Davis
- Charles County Sheriff’s Office Bike Patrol
- Charles County Government
- Charles County Public Facilities, Parks Division – Indian Head Hiker/ Biker Trail
- Charles County Senior Show Troupe
- Chick-Fil-A Restaurant, La Plata, Maryland
- The Henry E. Lackey AFJRROTC
- Indian Head Elementary School – 5th Grade
- Maryland Department of Transportation
- Maryland Transit Administration
- Pinnacle Performance of Waldorf
- La Plata Fitness Center
- Town of Indian Head
George Clark, CCTM/MWD-BS and Sonal Stachowski